Lost Mobile Phone, What to Do?
Losing your hand phone may give not only financial lose but also can give you mental stress too.
First of all you must get the IMEI number of the lost mobile phone or the Smartphone.
Where to find the IMEI Number?
On the phone's box, sellers receipt, under the battery and when press *#06# the screen will display it.
(Once you had bought a new phone find it and should write it down in a paper and keep it in a safe place.)
Mobile phone Lost or Stolen?
By using its unique IMEI number, you can recover it or can make it unusable.
In Sri Lanka TRC can get back your mobile phone with the assistance of the police or will make it un-usable with all the carriers, if you make complaint to them.
Follow the steps given here.
- Get your Mobile Phone IMEI and phone number.
- Go to the nearest police station and make a complaint and get a complaint copy of it.
- Go to your carrier (Eg: Dialog, Airtel, Mobitel or Hutch.) and lodge a complaint with them, with the phone number
- Send a complaint Letter through Registered Post with the following information.
- Full Name.
- NIC Number.
- Contact phone number.
- Mobile Phones' IMEI number.
- Brand and Model
- Last used SIM card Number.
- Police Complaint Report copy. (Obtain this from the police station, by paying a small amount of FEE to them)
What will happen after this?
TRC's special division will go in to action with these details to locate the phone and to recover it, if it is being used with a new SIM card. Also they will inform these details to all the carriers in Sri Lanka.
Mobile phone operators will assist to track the phone using the IMEI number even if they using it with another SIM card from another mobile phone service provider.
If possible they will catch your mobile phone and will return it to you.
Otherwise they will make the phone to be unusable even from any part of the world with a new SIM card. And will inform you by postal letter after some months about their decision regarding your lost mobile phone.